Logo Leibniz Universität Hannover
Logo: Fachgruppe Landschaft
Logo Leibniz Universität Hannover
Logo: Fachgruppe Landschaft
  • Zielgruppen
  • Suche

Frequently asked questions

1.       Is the Master programme entirely taught in English?

All mandatory courses and most of the elective modules are offered in English. It is possible to study the programme completely in English.


2.       Are there any English language skills requirements?

Yes, to enter the programme an adequate knowledge of the English language is required. This means that you will need a certificate (for example by a TOEFL-Test, IELTS etc.) that your English language skills are at level B2 or higher.


3.       Are there any German languages courses be offered in the Master programme?

In the programme itself there are no German language courses offered. But as a (prospective) student at the Leibniz University of Hanover there are also several ways to learn German and other languages at the unversity. Please, go here for more information: http://www.international.uni-hannover.de/sprache.html?&L=1


4.       How much are the fees I have to pay?

You have to pay semester fees. The fee also includes costs for the Semester Ticket Lower Saxony/Bremen which you may use free of charge for public transport in the Greater Hannover Area and for the second class of Deutsche Bahn regional trains throughout Lower Saxony as well as for Bremen and Hamburg central stations.

Further information you can find here:



5.       Is it mandatory to study a semester abroad?

Yes, the semester abroad is mandatory. The courses at the partner universities are mostly taught in English so that it is not absolutely necessary to speak the national language (German, French, Dutch, Swedish ...). Anyhow, it would be good to understand the particular language to be able to follow the every-day life there.


6.       What documents are required for the admission?

Please visit the webpage about Admission requirements.


7.       Are there any working experiences / internships required to study EuMiTD?

No, there is no working experience or internship required.


8.       What is the focus of EuMiTD?

The Master programme focuses explicitly on Europe. We will deal with the (spatial) policies of the European Union, its impacts on the European Union member states and their regions. Additionally, we will focus on territorial/spatial policies of European member states such as Germany, the Netherlands, France, Italy, Poland etc. What EuMiTD does not cover, due to the diversity of the planning systems and spatial policies in Europe, is spatial planning or spatial policies outside Europe. If you are interested in policies in areas such as America, Asia or Africa you should probably apply for another study programme; if you would like to learn more about spatial policies and planning in Europe we would be very glad to receive your application.


9.       Which Bachelor degrees are appropriate to study EuMiTD?

The Master programme is intended for graduates in relevant academic disciplines like urban and regional planning, environmental planning, geography etc. It is necessary that you have at least some basic skills in the field of urban / regional planning and development.


10.   What is 'BAföG' (Federal Education Assistance Act)?

BAföG is an interest-free loan from the state for students in Germany. The Studentenwerk Hannover (http://www.studentenwerk-hannover.de/en-loans.html) offers information about loans and grants in English.


11.   Are there any scholarships for students from (none) EU?

The International Office offers information and service regarding your studies at Leibniz-Universität Hannover, as well as information about opportunities to study abroad. The International Office is responsible for Leibniz-Universität’s exchange programmes and can give you advice on scholarships and other forms of support.